4611 E Harry St, 67218 | 95 acres
L.W. Clapp Park started out as privately-owned Meadow Lark Golf Course in 1921. It was acquired by the Board of Park Commissioners in 1955 and named after L.W. Clapp, a nature lover, architect and environmentalist who is considered by many to be the father of the Wichita park system. Mr. Clapp was a former City Commissioner, Mayor and City Manager. From 1921 to 1934 he was the first Park Board President, serving until his death in 1934.
From 1955 to August 2, 2019 L.W. Clapp Golf Course was open for public play. Its 18 holes were designed around Dry Creek, creating a challenging par 70 course. With waning attendance and a shortage of funds the decision was made to close the course.
In 2020, a master plan was started with Confluence, a landscape architecture firm based in Kansas City. Their design team included a host of sub consultants which has provided valuable direction. During the spring of 2020, Greteman Group – one of the team members, conducted a valuable community wide survey which resulted in over 962 respondents from area citizens. The City also conducted a Town Hall meeting inviting members of the community to participate in various discussions and fielded valuable feedback from the ideas being generated by the design team. Since that time, the city has engaged in 2 more community driven DAB meetings updating citizens about the proposed future master plan for the reimagined park.
At this present time, LW Clapp remains open to the public for trail use, hiking and open play.
Disc Golf Course | Walking Path